Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Carn- More amazing inspiration!!


I saw this film yesterday and fell in love with it immediately.  The story and look is so simplistic yet so powerful that it almost brought tears to my eyes. The use of silhouettes for both the boy and wolf for the majority of the film is brilliant, and the composition in each of the shots is well designed and dynamic.  I love the use of the same colors for certain elements- red motif for the scarf and blood, blue for the hostile, cold backgrounds, and the fiery brilliant sky at the end marking the climax.  Great stories can truly be told with just the right colors and cinematography.

This film as great because it reminded me of the power of silhouettes, which I had more of in my first animatic.  I remember one of the professors said keeping him in a silhouette at some points in my film and maintaining that simple readable shape could be a distinct feature of my film, and this was a good reminder that simple is better.  

Check out the film through this link: https://vimeo.com/search?q=carn

Below are some film stills I think are soo incredibly beautiful!

I love how absolutely creepy he looks. 


LOVE the silhouette!!! Simplicity tells story best. 

Bloooood red. LOVE the mountains in the background and how to converge to the midpoint. Works great to draw our eye to the wolf.

This bright fireball sky definitely got me. He's dead center but the composition works well in creating tension.

Just love the trail of red blood and how everything is blocked out in black.  

Great birds eye view.  

Love how straight and rigid the trees are.  It works to enhance the mood of the film.

Again, great use of simple characters and dynamic deep background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment